5/25/2011

"Tuna" Casserole




Ingredients

For the “tuna:”
1 cup dried Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) flakes
1 cup water
1 tsp vegetable boullion or vegetable broth powder
1 tsp sesame oil
1-2 tsp kelp powder
2 tsp paprika (or old bay seasoning might be better)
a couple splashes vinegar (I used some rice vinegar and some apple cider vinegar)
sea salt and Braggs Liquid Aminos to taste

For the sauce:
2 cups Imagine Foods creamy portabella mushroom soup (which is vegan)
1/2-2/3 cup veganaise
a dash of parsley
salt and pepper to taste

For the rest of the casserole:
12 oz noodles of your choice (I used rice penne)
1/2 cup frozen peas
crumbled potato chips to put on top

Get a pot of water boiling for the noodles and prepare as instructed. Get the tuna ready by boiling the water, then adding the rest of the ingredients and taking off heat, stirring well and letting it sit til the TVP absorbs everything. (If you’re lazy like me, you can microwave the water in a Pyrex measuring cup then add the rest of the ingredients and stir and let sit). I don’t think the tuna taste is exactly perfected yet by this recipe (it’s pretty close though and definitely takes on a “fishy” flavor due to the kelp powder), so feel free to experiment. For example, I would probably add some dulse flakes if I were going to make it again, but I was out at the time.

While the “tuna” is absorbing its flavor, preheat your oven to 375 and mix the sauce ingredients with a whisk in a big round casserole dish. You should have a thick, creamy-sauce but it’s o.k. if it’s not perfectly smooth as it will smooth out in the oven. Throw in the frozen peas and noodles when they are done. Add the “tuna” and mix well. Top the casserole with crumbled potato chips and bake about 20-30 minutes until chips start turning golden brown.

Thanks go to Melanie Good Meyers for the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment